Navigate Up
Sign In

Places of Interest

​In 1974, the Missionary Society of St Paul built a novitiate house in Iż-Żebbuġ. Throughout these years the members have contributed tirelessly in pastoral activity. Stella Maris House is situated in a quiet and airy place in Mons G De Piro Street. Nowadays its used to welcome various lay groups and organizations from outside the village for retreats.
Nearby is the Primary Government School built in 1955. In the limits between ‘il-Qlajja’ and ‘is-Sellum’ is the village cemetery built in 1934. In the main square of the parish one finds the Parish Center. The center caters for various groups such as the Catholic Action Group, Legion of Mary and temporary the St Mary’s Band Club. This musical talent goes back to 1946 when through the contribution of the conductor Antonio Mallia an orchestra was formed and it’s still going strong especially during liturgical services in the parish.
At Iż-Żebbuġ one can also find the Society of Christian Doctrine, they not only tirelessly contribute towards religious formation of their members but also through the cooperation of various benefactors they have built their own center. The village has its own football club, Iż-Żebbuġ Rovers, which plays in the highest division of the football league in Gozo. Last season 2003-04 they won for the first time in history their first Gozitan Championship.
Besides the football ground in Iż-Żebbuġ one finds other sporting facilities such as the Shooting Range. ‘Boċċi’ pitches and the playing field. Another attraction in Iż-Żebbuġ is the Christmas crib ‘Ta’ Bastjan’ in Għajn Mħelħel Street, work of art by Sebastian Axiaq, with a number of figurines, buildings and relives made out of limestone. Throughout the village one can admire the various niches dedicated to the Virgin Mary and the saints. The oldest is the one of Our Lady of taċ-Ċiċri built in 1795.
At Marsalforn apart from the church, one can visit Merzuq slope where in 1910 a cross was erected and three years later a statue of Our Saviour replaced the cross. A new one after 65 years replaced this statue. However this statue lasted up till 1973 when it had to be again replaced, this time made of fiberglass and concrete to withstand the natural elements. One can also go around the coastline and visit the different bays of ‘Ghar Qawqla’. ‘Santa Marija’, ‘Il-Qbajjar’ and ‘Ix-Xwejni’. One can also find the salt pans, the ‘Il-Fortina tal-Qolla l-Bajda’ – a fortification built in 1716 and which today bears the name of Il-Qbajjar Tower.