Navigate Up
Sign In


St. Julian’s: There are no documents to indicate the exact date the Lapsi Church was built, however one is led to believe that in 1580 the Knights of St. John, who were here for hunting, built the first church. In 1593 the small church was demolished and another one was built in its stead. Once again in 1682 the third church was built. The works were completed in 1683. The church was built by Mikiel Gaffan, and the Architects were Vincenzo Casanova and Giovanni Barbara.
In 1693 there was a big earthquake in Malta and Sicily which caused considerable damage to a lot of buildings. This Church was amongst one of these buildings and in 1716 the Bishop advised Guzeppi Ciantar to rebuild it. In 1730 the Bishop Paolo Alferan De Bussan made a pastoral visit and found that this church had actually been rebuilt.
In 1847 there were about 50 families residing in St. Julian’s and approximately a 1000 persons who lived in St. Julian’s during summer. A request was made for this church to become a parish and in 1849 this request was agreed to. Dun Guzepp Xerri was chosen to act as vice-chaplain and on the 8th of September 1891 when this church was declared a parish he was appointed the first chaplain.
Since St. Julian’s had grown considerably it was decided to build a new church and works commenced on the 9th of July 1961. The church was officially opened to the public on Palm Sunday, 1968, however it was not yet completed.
Balluta:  On the 21st November 1858 the Carmelite Priests (of Valletta) built a small Chapel in St. Julian's in an area known as Ta' l-Ljun.  This Church was built by Architect Bonavi.  The first stone was laid by the Vicar Mons. F Amato Gauci and the Church was blessed by Mons. Pace Forno on the 18th September 1859.
This Chapel was enlarged in 1900 after having suffered major structural damage and was rebuilt in Gothic Style.  The Architect in charge of rebuilding the Church was Arch E Galizia.
Before the Convent was built the Carmelite Priests lived in Miriam House and Casa Dingli, villas which can be found on the other side of the bay opposite the Church.
During the 1st World War the Convent was used as a Government School since the Government School in Sliema was used as a hospital.  Once again the priests went to live at Miriam House.
In 1974 this Church was declared a Parish Church dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel.